It’s the second day of February which means Galentine’s Day and Valentine’s Day are soon approaching. I don’t know about you, but I typically don’t do a lot of gifting for either of these holidays. I mainly celebrated it as a kid, when I was in a serious relationship, and in the early years of motherhood. Don’t get me wrong I still do something special for my loved ones/children BUT now with a sustainable approach.
The following are a few sustainable ways you can express your love this Galentine’s/Valentine’s season.
- Keep it simple with some dried flowers in a glass jar
- Get creative with toilet paper rolls (paper towel rolls work as well) and cardboard to make some heart decor.
- Place a love phrase in a picture frame (secondhand if buying one).
- Save the decor for the future.
Special Meal + Treats
- Remember to take your own container for that special dinner leftovers.
- Cooking/Baking is a great way to express your love so take time to make a special memorable meal or treat.
- Stop by your local bulk candy shop to get treats to put in a jar.
- If giving chocolate focus on environmentally friendly and palm-free chocolates.
- Dried flowers, houseplant, or paper roses are better for the environment
- Experience-based options include a cooking class, coupon for a special night out in the summer, or
- Let your creativity guide you in making a special DIY gift like a handmade seed hearts or a coffee scrub.
- Put together a sustainable living basket — self-care bundle, cleaning bundle, pet bundle.
- If you are going to buy always buy local and support small businesses.
- No need to buy a new box for school valentines – reuse a cereal or tissue box.
- Get creative and make your own valentines (cereal boxes are quite sturdy). Look into seeded paper notes if must buy.
- Valentine treat ideas – DIY crayons, seasonal fruit, paper-packaged candy, matchbook notepads.
There are definitely more suggestions than what I’ve provided so share in the comments additional options.