Various members of my family would say this phrase – “don’t just talk the talk – walk it”. I find myself wanting to utilize the same phrase today. I’ve seen tons of folks posting the infamous black box aligned with #blacktuesday.
Anyone can post a black box…but are you doing the needed steps associated with the concept? Are you putting real actions with those ‘words’?
Here are some suggested Be About It actions
- Take time to reflect on your role in the systemic racist aspects of our society
- Register to vote or encourage others to vote
- Research your local government and the upcoming elections to see if the candidates are focused on making a difference
- Get involved with the revolution (positively). Note you can don’t have to be on the frontlines to be involved.
- Check on folks and make sure they are okay (that includes yourself)
Just please don’t think posting a black box is all you have to do.